Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We will remember you

As our children have been getting older we have enjoyed sitting around with them at the dinner table or in the evening before bed recounting memories of childhood. We listen to them and realize we never knew some of the things they were involved in. (I think there may be more stories like that the older they get...yikes!) Then they ask us about our childhood and we try to conjure up some old memory which frankly  may or may not have happened in that exact way but its our story and we're sticking to it! :)

Last evening as we sat around at the end of a long Monday reading some scripture and praying together we started talking, all 6 of us about the day, which in turn took many turns in conversation about numerous and sometimes humorous memories or subjects.
 At one point in the conversation I remember saying... " We used to have a plaque in our house that said... "The family that prays together stays together,and one beside it which said, God is the blessed controller of all things". Which made them all start reciting the different plaques of scripture or inspirational sayings they have seen in our house either previously or currently.  Which made my wheels start turning and made me ask myself the question..
"What is it that I am teaching them, however casually now that will have an impact on them in 30 or 40 years from now?"

You know in the book of Joshua, after Joshua had led the Children of Israel into the promised land, they had settled down and were overflowing with blessings. Joshua said this at the end of the book.

15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve theLord.

He exhorted the people who had received such rich blessings to remember the Giver of the Gift. They were happy and blessed but the next generation came along and had forgotten all about God.
It makes me wonder if the Adults who had received so much from their God simply forgot to remind their children who the great provider was. 
That same God is the one who many have forgotten today.
Many people who have enjoyed his provisions have failed to pass on the message to their children.
The scripture  has become archaic and boring and powerless in many church circles and it seems like other books are exalted and read across the pulpits and in homes more than His book. The one that is full of instruction and life and is living and active and cuts between bone and marrow. The book that changes lives and helps us to live with power contrary to that of a culture that has forgotten him.
The Provider.
The Blesser.
The Giver of all Good Things.

In that moment when my children said what they remembered I knew that I must continue to fill their minds with messages wherever I can. On their mirrors and dashboards. Messages reminding them of their Great provider who is in control of all things.

I never want them to forget him. In prosperity or adversity he is still in control.
He has been faithful and he will continue to be.

So along with Joshua I will say.. "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord."

Do you remember any sayings on your walls? What do you have written on your walls?
What do you want your children to remember about the God you serve?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com