Monday, June 24, 2013

The 13 year old gets celebrated properly

So This boy waited a long time to be celebrated like the great teenager he is.
We had a long winter with lots of sad and it never seemed like the right time to celebrate.

When my oldest brother Jim and his wife Shirley's children turned into teens they started a tradition we absolutely love,And have carried it through all these years later.

I would strongly encourage planning this celebration if you are a parent or guardian of children. It doesn't have to be at 13 but this age is an excellent time. A celebration of the years that were and the preparation for years to come.
Each aunt or uncle and grandparents are welcome to share a blessing through a letter that is read to the birthday celebrity. Scripture is shared and a prayer of protection and purity is prayed over the young person.
We affirm the good we see in them and encourage them to stay strong in the days ahead.
If you don't have a family you can do this with, maybe a small group or other friends who participate in your child's life and will be available for them through the  immediate years ahead,  would work wonderfully.
So thankful for this man who shows his sons every day how to be  men.
He got to pick some of his favorite foods ...which were pretzel bread ham sandwiches (another family favorite) and an ice cream bar with chocolate cake.

I love this new teen. He makes being a mom fun. It hasn't been without it's challenges throughout the years and he is not raised yet but I like what I see in him. Our family is not a quiet one, everyone has something they like to add to conversation which makes table time and car trips very lively... 
Sometimes the lively gets a little excessive but I'm thankful for the fun times.
This is the letter I read to Micah for his blessing.
My dear Son,
When you were born 13 + years ago I was not yet 30. I felt fairly accomplished at caring for babies and children since you were my 3rd born. But with each child there is always an element of new that I had never yet experienced. You have brought with your presence that new very often.
You were born to lead. From the beginning I knew it. The way you approach learning and life is inspirational to me. I remember at the young age of 3 you would struggle to crawl up on the stool beside your big brother so you too could learn how to read right along with him. And you did. Kindergarten was a formality for you. You also expressed a love for animals from the time you could talk. I remember the time we were at the park with friends and a storm blew in. We took shelter under the pavilion till the storm passed. You ran back out to play but returned only moments later with a small bird that had blown out of its nest. You were quite anxious as you begged us to take it to the vet or find some place that would care for this bird. You showed me your heart that day. How you care for the helpless and hurting. Your sensitivity to others around you continues to grow deeper. When you took the time this year to enroll in the program to help kids with Special needs Next year, I saw again your heart for the least of these.
 I am thankful to have a front row seat in your raising. Like a director I sit here coaching you, clapping for your accomplishments and reminding you when you have forgotten how or teaching you what you still need to learn. God has given you countless abilities and you are driven to use them all. Whether its music, academics, sports or Bible memory, I see you driven to accomplish the task before you. Especially when there’s a prize at the end J
Your Wit and Strong will are two more of my favorite qualities about you. You’re funny. That’s all I have to say about that. You just are.
Your strong will can be a challenge when crossed but it is important to be strong in a world that wants to suck you in. I pray that Strong Will serves you well in the days ahead. You will have many voices that call your name but you my son, you know the one who called your name many years ago and I am convinced that you will stay strong in him. 
The verse of blessing I picked for you is the one I challenged you to memorize.  And you did. It’s found in I Samuel 17:45-47 “David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, The God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will hand you over to me, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beast of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s and he will give all of you into our hands.”
My charge to you is when the enemy comes at you remember these words you have learned. You will look that giant in the face and proclaim that the battle is the Lord’s. He is your deliverer.
Your name means the one who resembles God. We pray that will be true of your life today and always.
I love you Micah,

Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com