Wednesday, June 12, 2013

She Laughs


A good woman is hard to find,
    and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
    and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
    all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
    and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
    and brings back exotic surprises.
She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast
    for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
    then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
    rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
    is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
    diligent in homemaking.
She’s quick to assist anyone in need,
    reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows;
    their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
    and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
    when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
    brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
    and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
    and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
    and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
    her husband joins in with words of praise:
“Many women have done wonderful things,
    but you’ve outclassed them all!”
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
    The woman to be admired and praised
    is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
    Festoon her life with praises!
~Proverbs 31, The Message

The Words of this passage have always been a bit frightening to the female race. If you read this blog and you are male, just know that we all wish we could wave magic wands and turn into this woman.

It's like the best qualities of every girl born to woman wrapped up in one person. It's who we all wish we could say we were all the time but perhaps know that it is not always the case. 
I, as a young naive bride used this passage in my vows... I said, " I want to be to you the virtuous woman spoken of in Proverbs". I meant it. 
I still do.
But I am not always what I wish I were. 
I have been thinking lately of this phrase "She always faces tomorrow with a smile". I must say in this world of trouble, smiles of tomorrow are often not on my lips.
Not in the sense of humor. I think I'm okay with humor and light-hearted banter. You can make me laugh at a story or joke faster than most people because I like a good time.
 The NIV version of this says... "She laughs at the days to come." 
This speaks to me of a confident woman looking into the future and trusting it will all be fine. You see I've lived long enough to know that sometimes it doesn't work out the way we plan. And in that process it is easy for us as people to hold back, to reserve the smiles, to remind ourselves  that it's dangerous to just plunge  into relationships or callings or careers, maybe even life in general, so we hold back in fear. We may try again but when we do, it will all be a very cautious tiptoe.
The picture of an uninhibited, fearless woman stands up and says, "I can be all God has called me to be. It will all work out in the end. I will stand boldly and walk in the dark places because I know someone greater than me walks with me. I will not fear the unknown. I will not fear what man can say about me or do to me".
She laughs
Not a "stick my head in the sand", or "Pie in the sky", kind of way. No, she is far from ignorant. Instead she looks at her giants and says, "I come against you ithe name of the Lord Almighty," ISam 17:45
 "I will look you squarely in the eyes and I will defeat you, fear".
No longer will they call me Fearful but Confident.
And she will laugh in the face of fear. 
Because her heart is set on what is unseen.
She is joyful even when the dust is stirred up around her causing her lungs to fill as she coughs. Her eyes sting and she can barely see the next step. Her mouth is dry and it's difficult to speak. Even then...
She laughs.
She is confident when dreams she had crumble around her.When she feels broken and let down. When her laughter turns to mourning....
She laughs when the pain threatens to choke her. When she feels isolated from the ones she once held close. 

Because she knows, this is not the end. 
It's only the beginning

Her life here is for a season and then she moves on. And it is here where she can find the courage to move forward. 
To see the light. To understand the fleetingness of this moment. 
It is here where she knows without a shadow of doubt that she can rest in someone greater than herself. 
And finally, she knows there is one who never left her. 
Indeed he has been with her through the dust storm and the broken dreams. She is secure in him.
She laughs.





2 comments:

  1. This brought tears because right now I am stuggling to laugh at the future.Thank you for this timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear unknown friend.. I wrap my arms around you in prayer today! May his peace fill your heart soul and mind! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com