Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Peace on Earth? How about peace at home.

We have an advent book we are going through right now.
It's been a nice little change in routine in the morning.
This morning we read this...

Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer." I Peter 3:8-12

Now this was on the heels of some loud argument I heard coming from the pubescent males room. So it was quite difficult not to give some directed stares as I read.

To live in peace and harmony is a direct command.
It is much easier to see my sons need for that at the moment than my own.

How am I doing with that?
Do I seek to live in peace?

And the end of that phrase tells me to... PURSUE it.

I am challenged again to bless others and not curse. To show sympathy and compassion. To love when insulted.
To do good.
And the reward is this... I will inherit blessing.

My heritage is one that promotes peace and anti war sentiments.
I would agree that most often we must first seek to understand rather than fight for freedom.
Saying this, I stand in honor of those who would risk their life for me.

And on a personal note, I am concerned, how many from my heritage would rather talk about peace in the world than pursue it on a personal level.
Peter's admonishment to us is not to lay down weapons in a way of promoting peace but rather watch our speech, because words matter.

I am also reminded of Paul's exhortation to Timothy who was a young sprout in the ministry...

14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. II Tim 2

So as I watch my sons argue and quarrel about disputable matters, I am reminded that there is a better way.

The Word is truth.
It has been my healing balm.
And a sharpening sword that pierces my heart in ways that nothing else can touch.

My truth on a matter is only my opinion.
God's truth is the Way and Life.

And my prayer to end our time was this...
God,
Today bring us peace not only in the nations but more importantly in our homes. In our relationships. In our hearts. May we pursue peace in our neighborhoods, in our families and all around. And Thank you for the promise that one day there will be peace all over the earth.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com