Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let Freedom Reign

We talk a great deal of freedom here in America. We are free to think, choose where we live, how we live, and where we go.

It's freedom when a teenager gets their license. (which btw...I tremble at the thought of...Freshman can officially apply for her permit today.)

Freedom. An opportunity to gain independence and liberty to be anything we work at hard enough.

This week Pastor talked about living freely. There is only one way to do that according to John 8.

Is it by declaring it? Claiming it? Shouting everyone down to receive it?

No. It is by faith Believing the TRUTH and OBEYING it. This leads to freedom.

Think about it. If we embrace the truth only but don't obey we will have theology but it won't line up with our reality.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my son last week.

He: Mom is it better to just live what we believe or tell people.

Me: Well I think it's both. We must listen and be ready to obey when we are supposed to say something.

He: Well what's more important though?

Me: Well if you don't live it you shouldn't speak it. If you aren't living what you tell people they should do then they will never believe that you're legit. If you would see dad and I telling you to be kind but we are rude and mean to each other and you then what good does it do to tell you to be kind? It would be hypocritical of us. So in order to ever be able to speak it you must live it consistently.

He: Oh, That makes sense.

Does this mean we will always get it right? Nope. It means that when we get it wrong we say "I'm sorry. I should have been a better follower of Jesus. " That action speaks just as loud as doing the right thing the first time does.

Jesus says " If you hold to my teaching you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:31

So if we believe the truth and walk in the action of obedience ....Freedom follows.

The true freedom of living life without chains tied around our hearts. The Freedom that sets us free from captivating thoughts and unhealthy attachments. Freedom that brings a peace in our hearts in the middle of troubled times.

Freedom is living life fully aware of our own need to stay close to the Father because we are weak on own.

Not independence from him but a dependence on him.

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com