Tuesday, November 8, 2011

If God is for us why does it feel like he's against us?

Have you ever asked God..."Why do you hate me?"

I have.

There have been times when I wondered if I had done something to make God really angry with me. Angry enough that he would make everything in my life miserable.

I mean we can talk all day long about his mercy and kindness and love....but sometimes it doesn't feel like he loves us.

When 10 bad things happen all in row we may ask what we did to deserve such contempt. We wonder.

We might not even know that we've done anything at all but it sure feels like God is against us.

And we hear the preacher tell us nice things about God and read blogs and listen to people who tell us how good he is and we wonder why we aren't experiencing God like that.

Maybe if we were better or had a godly title then he would be good to us too. Maybe everyone is just fibing to us...if they would just be real they would admit that they too think God is fickle. He would like to pound us and if we aren't careful that's exactly what he will do.

But maybe it's like this...I wonder if God is so for us that sometimes it feels like he is opposing us.

I tell my kids all the time.... I am for you! That's why I'm asking this of you. I want you to be the best you can be so we need to take care of this issue. Sometimes it's not even because they have done anything that needs correction. Sometimes we ask them to do something to help them grow in responsibility. Or we ask them to wait to stretch them in patience. Maybe we don't give them everything they ask for because we know it's not good for them. It's because we want them to be all they were called to be. We hope they will be responsible citizens of heaven and earth. We ask things of them to help them grow up.

It's because he is for me....

Romans 8:31....If God is for us, who can be against us?

that sometimes I feel like he is against me.

I Peter 4:5...God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Is He For me?

Yes.

Does that mean he doesn't need to correct me?

Or that I don't need to grow up?

No.

As long as I breathe on this planet I will need to grow. He is preparing me for another life. The life to come. And so while I should be making strides in the growing up direction I have not yet arrived.

So...I will need to have lessons all along the way.

And if I look at those lessons thinking God hates me I will become hard and bitter.

God's word will no longer mean anything to me...because his word is only for those he loves...and I am obviously not one.

I become a victim and victims always need someone to blame. So I turn away from the very one who could heal me and give me all I need.

In Judges after Joshua had led the children of Israel into their promised inheritance, the next generation grows up and forsakes the God of their fathers. Judges 2 says that the Lord's hand was against his people. He had promised them that if they worshiped other gods he would be against them. Then it says...He raised up judges(or leaders) who saved them out of the hands of their enemies. And they still didn't listen. Because God had compassion on them he continued to raise up leaders and the people refused to give up their ugly ways. So God finally decided to turn them over to other nations to test Israel and see if they would obey his commands.

God continued to fight for his people even when they refused to recognize him. He can't seem to get their attention so he measures out different methods of discipline.

He is for them.

If we are his he is for us!

Even when it doesn't feel like it.

I would dare say my kids don't always feel like I am for them. Especially after I have issued out correction to them.

But I love them like Crazy!

And if I, in my imperfect love, know what they need how can I ever doubt that the perfect love of the Father knows exactly what I need. He will go to great lengths to bring us back to himself.

I think maybe his opposition is the very thing that can bring me back.

It is the very thing that I need for growth and maturity.

It's painful. And I'm not gonna say I love it.

But I need it.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ffdbo9Hypo&w=480&h=390]

He is for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com