Monday, December 13, 2010

Growing up in him

“Mommy look, I "growed up " some more, see?”

Keeping a growth chart on the wall is one way to chart the physical growth of children. It’s a measurable way of recording how they have changed.

I know some families who do this and I think it’s a really great idea. I guess I don’t do it mostly because I didn’t start when the older ones were young and it feels kind of weird to start when they are 13 and 15. (Plus the 15 yr old seems to have stopped growing….she is trying to break 5 ft)

I was thinking about growing up and I started processing how we gauge our spiritual growth meter. Is there a tangible way we can look from one year to the next that shows our growth(or perhaps shrinkage).

As I think about ending the year in just a few weeks I wonder if I can take a little time to find out what my growth chart would say about me. Here are some of the things I am measuring myself to.

Romans 5:3-6 (New Living Translation)
3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the

Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Here are some of His Bench marks of growth.

  • Rejoicing in the middle of our problems and trials
  • Endurance to persevere
  • Strengthening of character
  • Confident hope of salvation
  • Embracing God’s love for us
  • A fresh infilling of his Spirit which changes our hearts.

    Are these the kinds of ways you want to grow?
    Do we have a choice if we are his followers?
    Where are you today on your personal growth chart?
As 2010 draws to a close I pray that this next year will be full of more opportunities for growth. Not because it’s so much fun but because there are rich rewards for those who are willing to be shaped, molded, deepened and established.


Growing up in him, until one day I will stand before him as he hands me my growth chart, when I hope to hear him say,
“You are quite grown up my little one. Welcome home”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com