Monday, November 1, 2010

A new Name

I was driving through town today and looked over to the sidewalk. There I saw a young man, he looked like he was barely 20. He walked in a way that made me want to stare just a little longer then necessary. His left leg followed his right but he had to work extra hard to move it forward. And I wondered...

I wondered what had happened to the young man.

Was he born like that?
Did he have an accident as a small child?
Was the leg artificial?

I am sure he was glad to be walking. I thought of the fact that maybe he had just started walking after confinement to a chair, and how exhilarating that must be.

I didn't have enough courage to stop and ask details,

but I can relate to him.

You see....
I have a cripple leg too.

You might not notice it if I wouldn't point it out to you.
But it's cripple none the less.

It's cripple
because I was born into sin.
And since that time I have re injured that leg often.
Sometimes because I made wrong choices that made me fall down and wound the leg.
Sometimes people would push me down and I would hold on to the leg in deep pain and agony. At times I wouldn't see a pothole in front of me and I would fall into the hole wounding that leg once again.

I ask for something to come and take away the pain.
I want an Advil for instant relief.
Or Maybe if I just find a crutch like....
Shopping
Food
Coffee
Pampering
Whining
Control

Ahhhh... It makes me feel good!

For a split second....
but then after it wears off
I look down and I see the broken limp leg right there again.
And it still hurts just as much as before.

And I wonder if it will ever heal?

I wonder if I am destined to be a cripple all my life.

And then Jesus comes along and asks ....

"Do you want to be healed"? (John 5)

In other words do you really want me to make you whole?

Do you really want me instead of your crutch?

Do you really want me to heal you so you no longer will be called
Wounded
and
Outcast,
Lonely,
and
Afraid?

Because if I heal you...
I will give you a New Name.

A new name?

Do I want a new name?

I say I do...
But
Do I?

What will my new identity be?
Will people know me without the limp?
Will my friends still talk to me?
What will they say when they notice my crutches are gone?
Will they say they can no longer can relate to me since I am healed.

What about you?

Are you crippled?
Do you have a crutch?
Something you have found to ease the pain of life?
Is it giving you lasting freedom?
Do you want something more?

It is true that when we have been injured, Especially severely injured we may always have a scar.
And when people bump up against that scar we may be surprised at the pain we feel...especially at first.

But it is also true that Jesus never came to heal people partially...He always comes to give us full healing.

Whether in our suffering
or
Healing

Our purpose is to bring him glory.

[ The Rescue ] All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. We have plenty of hard times that come from following the Messiah, but no more so than the good times of his healing comfort—we get a full measure of that, too. II Cor 1:3

And this is what brings my Father glory...

Your will be done in my life.
Your kingdom come in my life.
You never leave your throne.
I am going to find my healing in building your kingdom not mine.
In looking for your glory in this temple and outside of it.
In listening to your words.

Thank you Lord that you know which leg hurts.
Thank you that you are patient with us but
thank you too for the new name we can walk in...

Joyfulness
Confidence
Overcoming one.
Faithfulness
friend of God
One who seeks my face.


You can listen to this whole song...
"I will change your name", over on my music today.

4 comments:

  1. Rise up Daughter,your faith has made you whole.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insights and words of wisdom. You always give me something to think about. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chelsea!
    I write out of my own frailities and what God is speaking to my heart. It's always good to hear that I am not alone in this thing:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com