Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

When I married J one of the things I discovered was his mothers gift of making cinnamon rolls.
Everyone loved them. She was kind of "known" for her cinnamon rolls. She always seemed to have an abundance of them. And when we visited that's what her kids always expected. I asked her a number of times to show me how she made them so I could continue her legacy. But she never could quite show me her recipe...because she was one of those bakers that baked by feel...She could tell by texture if it was right. Which I didn't get at first but now know exactly what she meant.
As she aged one of the first things we noticed was less and less of her rolls. Until finally the last number of years there were none.
We missed them.
Today, I am going to teach you a recipe that I started making this year and love.
If you don't like step by step instructions you can scroll down to the end where the recipe is.

Beat eggs and sugar together in large bowl.
add Salt.




Dissolve yeast in warm water.
I buy my yeast in bulk and keep it in the freezer.



This is what it should look like when mixed with warm water..Bubbly...

Add butter to hot, scalded milk and set aside until warm.


Add milk to big bowl of eggs,salt, and yeast mixture.


Add your flour and mix until well mixed.


Now for texture....


The dough should be a little sticky. Take the dough out of mixing bowl and put in a large fix n mix... cover with towel and let rise until double in size. I don't like to add more flour while I roll out unless I half to. The more flour used the more the rolls will be dry and flavorless. This is a trick I like to do for quick clean up. I put half of my dough on my large cutting board and roll out. Spread butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on dough. (nuts are yummy too)



Roll that up...



And cut off dough into same size pieces. (notice the color? This is the second batch and they got a little more cinnamon on the outside. This will make your rolls a little darker but it gives them a little more flavor. If you don't want them this dark just clean up your cinnamon off of the surface before you roll.)

Repeat with remaining dough.

Then put the rolls into a pan. Press tops down so they are all the same size.

Let rise for about 30 minutes...heat oven to 350 while they rise. I lightly press the tops down one more time...so they bake even.

Bake at 350 for 20 -25 minutes depending on size of pan.

When they are toasty brown pull them out of the oven and cool for a few minutes.

Now about the frosting....

Sorry it had to be done! O My!

Welcome to gooey yumminess!

A little party in your mouth.

I have NO IDEA why that roll is missing.

Just in time for the holiday's you can bake up some homemade goodness for all those teachers, neighbors and friends.

So there you go my friends.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Here is the full recipe.

  • 3 Tbsp yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 3 cups milk, scalded
  • 1 cup butter
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 11 -12 bakers flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add butter to hot, scalded milk and set aside until lukewarm.

Beat eggs and sugar together in large bowl. Add salt, yeast mixture and milk mixture. Add flour a few cups at a time. Let rise until double in size.

Roll out half the dough, brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll up and slice off rolls; Repeat. let rolls rise again. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly and frost.

Brown sugar Frosting:

  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1 C. brown sugar
  • 1/3 C milk
  • 2 -3 C powder sugar

Melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk. Heat just enough to dissolve sugar. Set aside until cool. Do not stir while cooling. Add powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. What great photos--and we loooooove cinnamon rolls. I'm going to try your recipe sometime. So glad you linked to Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com