Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Amy's Doughnuts

About 1 1/2 years ago my friend Amy who is a yummy baker and wonderful homemaker posted that she was going to make homemade donuts.

I remember as a kid going to one of my church friend's house and her mom would often have these amazing fresh glazed donuts sitting out to cool.
So after my flash back I thought...I really need to try to make those.

Well the first time I made them I thought I was gonna die at how big the batch was and how long it took me to fry them all up.
Plus...

When you make donuts they are best fresh so I tried to cart them all over the county before they were day old's.

Well since then I have made them numerous times. Sometimes I cut the recipe in half cause it really does make A LOT!

But if you have a couple hours they are well worth your effort!

4 C. Milk
2 C. Mashed potatoes
1 C. Crisco
1 C. White sugar
2Tbsp. salt

Heat Milk,crisco,sugar add salt together in a saucepan until hot. Mix in mashed potatoes...strain for lumps.

Cool this to lukewarm.

(I will often do this at night to cut out the step in the morning...then just reheat to lukewarm in the micro)

In a bowl mix
3 pkgs(or tbsp) of yeast
4 C. Luke warm water

Mix this together.

Yeast can really scare people cause it's touchy but don't worry...

Just remember not too hot or cold... This is one time when it's good to be

Lukewarm.

Add warm water and yeast.
I always stir it with a fork.
Bubbly is good~

If it doesn't bubble pour it out and try again.
This is the most important step in a yeast recipe.

In a big bowl mix
2 beaten eggs
Mix with cooled mashed potato mixture.
Add 13-14 cups of flour.
Mix in yeast mixture.
Stir together well.


Let rise until double in size.
Roll out onto floured surface. Cut in Round shapes. You can buy a doughnut cutter or just use a glass as a cutter.
Fry in oil..flipping on each side.

I do use a different glaze then Amy does.

My glaze recipe is Very simple.

7 C. Powder sugar
1/2 C. Corn syrup
1 C. Water
1 Tsp Vanilla
Just mix this together. As the donuts come out of the oil I set them on a paper towel and then glaze after I am completely done frying.



Last time I tried to use Squash in place of the Mashed potatoes and added a little cinnamon but I still need to work on that. I would like to learn how to make a pumpkin donut for the fall!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great Rose! I'll have to try your glaze recipe:) I have a recipe I found for pumpkin cinnamon rolls that I haven't tried yet. I need to post the recipe for Fruit-filled Kolachi soon, my family went crazy for it. I promise, it is way easier than donuts!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com