Monday, September 20, 2010

The Torah of Kindness

Do you ever have times when you just know you are supposed to do something?
It just keeps popping up in your thoughts and you know.

You just Know!

Last week I had that happen.

A friend had mentioned several weeks back that Beth Moore had a simulcast at a local church on Saturday.

I didn't forget it.

I felt like I should have been 2 other places but somehow I just kept feeling like I was supposed to be at the Simulcast.

So in the 11th hour I decided to go.

Alone.

I sat toward the back where 3 other sweet sisters joined me. They were strangers to me but they were so very kind.

I made it through the first 2 songs of worship and then the tears started to come.

For those of you who don't know who Beth Moore is well...
She is one funny anointed passionate lady who I for one plan to put my bid in on real estate next to her when we get to heaven.
Her love for Jesus and his Word is inspiring and contagious.

She spoke out of Proverbs 31.
Don't panic...
She didn't talk about the perfect woman!

She just used the text from Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth....and speaks with wisdom....and the Law(or Torah) of kindness is on her tongue."

She went on to give us 8 reasons why we should be kind.

One of the things that hit me was this...

We live in a mean world.

It is stinkin mean out there!

Can I get a witness?

It seems like there are lots of people that are just always cranky.
And I find myself feeling cranky when I have these encounters.

But her encouragement was this....
We really can't share the good news in a bad mood.
It's just counterproductive.

And in my home....Do I have the Torah of Kindness on my tongue all the time?

Emmmm....

Especially not when I'm saying these words....

"I am sick and tired"

She said that Kindness is not an action it's a disposition.

And that often when we have been hurt it's easy to respond out of that.

Instead I must keep the "Torah of kindness" on my tongue.

Recognizing that Jesus has been incredibly kind and loving toward me.

The fact is Kindness truly is not a weakness!
It is so very difficult to do.
And next to impossible on our own.
That's why not more people are practicing it!

But as I remember that I have been given mercy in my unkind, sinful state I began to soften and allow the Holy Spirit to move in me and give me the strength I need to do the kind thing.

And

Once again I stand in awe at the wonder of his gift.

Yes...

It was a God ordained day for me.

It's part of that healing he is doing in this heart.

God,
I ask you today to remind me of your grace in my life. May I extend that grace and kindness to everyone I see today. May your Spirit give me the strength to do the hard thing and show Kindness in the face of a mean world.
And once again I thank you for the tender mercy you shower over me each day~

4 comments:

  1. I always love to hear about how God nudges someone to go somewhere, do something, and only when we obey....that is how we learn. And usually God has a very important message for us! I'm doing a Beth Moore bible study right now and this is what she said that hit me head on!

    "If Jesus gives us a task or assigns us to a difficult season, every ounce of our experience is meant for our instruction and completion if only we'll let him finish the work."

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGREE!!!!! kindness is very very hard to do, especially when we feel "violated" in some way,I know myself and my daughter are both dealing with this very thing right now in our lives. We live in a super-mean world, and whats even more sickening, is sometimes some of the "meanest" people are fellow "brothers and sisters" in Christ. figure that out??????
    Beth is so right, practicing kindness IS truly one of the hardest things to do.but with Gods help and grace, we can persevere.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend, WHY didn't you call me up? I would've loved to go with you!!! I love Beth. Our study last week~Beth talked about mean girls. It is the Esther study...but talked about our "mean" world. 'It's tough to be a woman in a mean world' was one of the bullet points. So much truth. I loved what you said. It takes so much practice & work to live out kindness. Thank you for sharing what you learned!! :)


    On a side note~Can you change your blog background? I can't read your sweet words.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reminder about kindness... thank you.. and I love the music playing. You Hold Me Now by Hillsong ... new to me ... I will be looking for the CD

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com