Wednesday, June 30, 2010

When I grow up....

About 5 years ago one of my children looked at me and said,

"Mom, when you grow up like daddy what do you want to be"?

Well,I'm still trying to figure that out~

But...

When I ask my children what they want to be when they grow up it usually includes a list of these things, "A teacher,fireman,Doctor,professional athlete,a preacher, video game tester,or a mommy, but one thing I have never heard any of them say is, "I really want to be a servant".

Do I really want to be someone who scrubs floors or shovels smelly smells?

Jesus makes it very clear that servant hood is essential if we want to be part of his kingdom.

His life on earth was based entirely on this model of leadership. Always giving never trying to receive. Always reaching out never rejecting. Always loving never dismissing. Washing others feet instead of expecting his own feet to be washed.

"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all".

The servant of all.

To aspire to be the servant of all is no small undertaking.

In fact it is probably one of the most difficult paths to take.

In order to be a servant I need to be broken.

Brokenness.

I ran across this convicting list from Nancy Leigh DeMoss...

~Proud people look at the failures of other people. Broken people are quite aware of their own failings and need for Jesus.

~Proud people must have control. Broken people eagerly surrender control.

~Proud people have demanding hearts. Broken people have giving hearts.

~Proud people ask to be served. Broken people willingly serve.

~Proud people blame others. Broken people can see when they are wrong.

~Proud people are defensive. Broken people are able to receive criticism with grace.

~Proud people worry about what others think. Broken people are concerned with what God knows.

~Proud people don't think they need to turn from sin, but are sure others do. Broken people live a life of repentance.

~Proud people need to be recognized. Broken people are eager for others to be applauded.

~Proud people want success. Broken people want others' success.

~Proud people are proud of how much they know. Broken people accept that they know very little and have a lot to learn.

~Proud people refrain from getting close to others. Broken people risk relationally, even when they may be hurt.

~ Proud people find it hard to share their struggles with others. Broken people are authentic and real.

Corinthians 1:26-29 says,

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-and the things that are not-to nullify the things that are, so that NO one may boast before him....

Something real to aspire to...

A life of brokenness and servant hood.

Something that will count for eternity.

So...

I'm thinking that if I really want to be a success in God's eyes, I must "grow up in Brokenness".

And with that thought I think that,

When I grow up I want to be a servant.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is that your blog this time was convicting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Rose. I need to print those off and read them daily. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that Rose...I agree...it convicted me as well!--Leah M.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com