Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Marathon

I heard someone once say, "Motherhood should not be thought of as a 100 yard dash but rather as a Marathon."
I love that concept.
Not just about Mothering but anything I do in life.
The idea that I should not expect everything to happen in one day.
That a good thing can't be rushed. That all things should be cherished and savored.

I was inspired with this line from the movie, "The prize Winner of Defiance Ohio".
The Mother, Evelyn's car had broken down out in the middle of no where. Her daughter was driving her to a destination that Evelyn had longed to go for years.
But instead of getting angry about her situation, Evelyn looked at her daughter and said, "I had intended to get to this meeting but right now I am able to spend a delightful time talking with my feisty girl Tuft, and I intend to enjoy this moment I have been given".

Living in the moment regardless of what brought us to this moment.

I have for the last 13+ years been given an opportunity to mother my children as a stay at home mom.
It has been a gift to me and my kids.
I loved most days but I am sad to say that there were too many days when I saw my life as dull as dish water!
I had some days that we were gone so much I didn't really feel like a "Stay at home mom".
And then there were those moments when I sat down with my little guys to play, or snuggle with them for a nap and I remember vividly thinking , "I don't ever want to forget this".

Now my race seems to be taking a different turn and I am getting ready to take up the baton to run something that will look a little different.

After Sophie left for school last fall I wondered about what I would do to fill my time during the day. I have been volunteering at school but it seems I have "extra time" during the day.
I enjoy the flexibility but I often feel like I want more.
I have wondered what more I could be doing.
J and I have talked a lot about what job I could be doing. I have thrown around a lot of ideas but none seemed like a possibility.
With our county having a job unemployment rate of 15+% right now things looked pretty slim.

As I have been seeking God for direction in this,
I decided one week, this is the week I am going to go look for something.
So I got dressed up, went to my local bank and asked "Are you hiring"?
"Well yes, we are! You can fill out your application from home"!

I went through a series of interviews and as I left the last interview this is what I heard. "We have about 10 more people to interview but I will let you know by next week".

I left for Florida thinking I would never see her again.

In my head this is what I heard:
You have no banking experience
You couldn't find any professional references and
there are other people wanting this job who probably meet both of those requirements.

While in Florida I got several calls asking me if I could find anyone like a teacher I volunteer for who could be my reference.

I gave them one... and an hour later I got a call back offering me the position.

I have been so completely blown away by the whole thing. I will be 3 minutes from my house and J is flexible enough that he can cover when I am gone.

Only time will tell how it will work out for us but for right now I feel like this is a gift.

An opportunity to grow and be stretched in all kinds of ways.

I am hopefully optimistic about this new turn.

I think it's so easy to identify myself by roles I am in.
I really don't want to get caught up in finding my identity in any role.
But rather thinking of this as my service to God, my family and now my employer.

Once again, I am humbled that what seems impossible with man is always possible with God!

Pray for us as we adjust to all that goes with change.
I am wondering if blogging will be a thing of my past....I will just have to wait and see....

Do you work full time? What have you found helpful or not?
Do you do a lot of meal prep ahead of time? What about cleaning?
How do you stay organized?
Lots of questions.....Lots of questions.....

14 comments:

  1. Wow Rose, BIG change! Will U be working full-time? I am sure U will enjoy working, because U are very social and enjoy interaction with others...You will probably end up giving a listening ear too at times! Great place for U to work and spread God's peace in your heart and life...Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to you. i surely know how you feel. love my "job" as a SAHM, but w/ both the boys in school all day, i have really felt the tugging on going back to work. then there's the resume...oh how intimidating when you haven't worked for 10+ years.

    and think of all the bloggy material you'll have now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I am sure you will do great. You better keep blogging though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My philosophy..."everything happens for a reason" I think you got the job because you were meant to have this job! Good for you!

    You will find a way to make it work. It can be a tough balance. I have been doing it for 9 years. I am getting ready to take the summer off but we will see what happens after that!

    Crock pot meals are great when you work. Cleaning...I still do it myself. Maybe not as often as I would like but it all gets done some way.

    The best of luck to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Rose! I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Now, I only have little Bella, but when we were in VA I was working full time and managed to keep up with things. I did a lot of crock pot meals. I also would try to plan out the meals ahead of time so I at least knew what I was doing when I got home. :) If not, it was pb&j. :) The hardest part was leaving Bella in a day care when she was only 6 weeks old. :( You won't have to worry about that though. I normally did my cleaning on the weekends which wasn't the best, but it worked. :) Matt also was willing to help which I really appreciated. You will be great and I will surely be praying for you as you adjust to working outside of the home. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, What a great reminder to savor these days of my marathon. I really appreciate the bigger picture you paint for me. It's so easy to get bogged down some times with all the little things that seem to have to be done 100 times a day.

    I'm so excited for you. You are going to be an amazing employee. They are lucky they picked you! I'll look forward to seeing you at my bank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - good for you! It sounds like God really just put all of this together for you. I know it will be an adjustment, but I have no doubt that with your awesome family helping out, it will all fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Rose. I find that on my busiest days, I seem to be more organized and get more accomplished.
    You may have to resort to the more simple meals and save those special meals for weekends. My kids used to, and I think still do like the simple meals the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratuations, Rose! It will be a big change for you...when I have time I try to make double batches of recipes and put half in the freezer for those busy days when you get home late from work and you have no idea what to make. Also, canning in the summer, even tho it takes a lot of time then, is wonderful the rest of the year -- good home grown food that's virtually ready to eat. Loretta just taught me how to can shredded potatoes - so fast and easy. Having family and a husband willing to help with childcare and shuttling services helps a lot! Oh, and I would echo the part about not getting the cleaning done like I should - hey, you can't do it all! :) I hope the adjustment goes smoothly. Wow, this is getting too long..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you!!! I am so happy for you Rose, and I pray that you find complete peace in this decision, as I am sure it was a tough decision to make.

    Yes, I (obviously) worked full time after I had Eva. I found a few tricks that helped me..
    1. I really planned my meals according to what we had going on during the week and how much "prep time" I would have each night.
    2. Don't be afraid to rely on your husband (it sounds like you two already have this worked out)...don't feel like you have to do it all!
    3. Enjoy it...and live in the moment! Remember that often our children mirror our attitudes regarding things.

    Last, but not least, in this day and age the chances of our daughters being "working moms" and our son's having wives that work full time are pretty good. This is a WONDERFUL time for you to model how to juggle this gracefully. They will need a role model for this as they get older.

    Lots of well wishes and prayers being sent your way as you embark on this FUN journey!!!

    SO sorry I wrote a BOOK!!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved what you wrote about savoring the moments. Sometimes I forget to do that. Time goes by so fast, and I want to enjoy all the time I can as a Mom and not waste those precious days! Thanks for the reminder!

    Congratulations on your job! I hope that everything works out great, and that you really enjoy it :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new here! What a great blog! Hope you are having a great weekend! ♥ Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rose, congrats on the job! When I was a working mom, I had to be very organized with meals. I usually planned at least a week in advance and made sure to check our calendar. And don't forget to be flexible. That goes for your family too! There are just some nights when you are not going to feel like fixing dinner, and Taco Bell is so much easier. (I hate to say it...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been awhile since I last stopped by and obviously a lot has been going on for you. I loved the first part of your post about living in the moment. I often feel I am always in a rush or always running late, but I need to slow down to enjoy the moment and "be present" with my family.

    I do work full time. There are moments I wish I was home with my boys, but my husband and I made the decision that I would stay a working mom. (Just recently has our situation even made it possible for me to stay home.)

    I have weeks where I feel completely behind and weeks where I feel on top of things. For me, the success of it all is the cooperation of everyone in the family. Eric helps in some areas, our parents help in some areas, and my house cleaner helps in a lot of areas--like every room in the house:) Those busy weeks are where I have to stop and remind myself to not overlook my family. I have OCD:) when it comes to a neat house, laundry done, etc. But every once in awhile I have to "allow" myself to take a night off or ask for more help (I'm not so good at that).

    Anyway, I think it will all come naturally to you...as so many things do for multi-tasking mothers. But I do wish you the best of luck in this new decision. And have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com