Sunday, January 11, 2009

Comfort food 101

Well after our Friday night spaghetti episode we have moved on~
We moved right on to bread bowls and Soup.
Do you make bread? Well that's perfect because I don't. Well, not in the traditional sense.
I have tried for years but it just never turns out as great as I want it to. So I have become dependant on a machine.
Yay for the invention of the bread maker!
While I am not a fan of bread baked in the machine I do love to use it on the "dough" setting.
I dump my ingredients in and in 1 1/2 hours the dough is ready to put on my pan. I let it rise on the stove top while the oven is warming up and then I pop it in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
So easy! You can do this ~ I know you can!


I use this yummy kind of sweet, white bread recipe. It is actually for dinner rolls. When I am making bread bowls I just make them a little bit larger. This particular recipe works perfect because it splits into 6 big rolls.
And this is the result....


It is wonderful accompanied by some hot creamy soup.
This night the partner was some Potato Broccoli soup.

The ingredients for this simple soup is as follows:

6-7 potatoes cooked,peeled and shredded

1 (16 oz) bag frozen broccoli

2 Cups chicken broth

1 1/2 Cup milk

1 can evaporated milk

2 tsp salt

pepper to taste

1/2 lb. cubed and diced melting cheese

Cook your frozen broccoli just until thawed. Drain and put in blender. (I leave a little water so it will blend better) Warm milk, broth and evaporated milk in large stockpot. Add potatoes, broccoli and seasoning.I also add a little cornstarch to thicken. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add cheese at end.

When I make this I have enough for 2 meals.

If your not a fan of broccoli it could be made as potato soup.But if I chop the broccoli fine enough the non-broccoli lovers in my family like it. At least that's what they say. ha ha!

On a different note....

As you know I am a baby at blogging...well maybe pubescent by now... but I was wondering...Could you give me some feedback on what you like to read about? Is it is more stories, or inspiration, or recipes????

I started this blog primarily because it's a great way to store memories, stories and pictures for future reference but I am also aware that it is a public blog and at least 3 people read it every day....so I want to hear from the 3 of you what you like best....maybe I can do more of that or less of this:)

Okay your turn....

9 comments:

  1. Rose, you are definitely a teenager by now! I love your recipes and all your family fun that you write about! It doesn't matter to me, I just love getting a peek at other families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for me. I just like hearing your thoughts. Also like getting a peek into your family life. Keep it coming.

    Here are some ideas for blogging....

    -a meal plan for the week.
    -3rd grade date and what to say.
    -how you handle it when your boys fight.
    -how to get your 6 year old to stop talking all the time.
    -meal times....how to keep your kids from being picky eaters. (wait...is it o.k. if the mom is a picky eater?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I love your blog. I love the variety. I love the recipes, everything looks so yummy. I love to hear about your family in the day to day life. And I love your inspirational entries. Your really have a great way with words! My vote is to keep doing what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep doing what you are doing girl...I love it ALL!!

    Now, I'm going to go pick that black paint out of my fingernails from the Pier One basket!! Ha! Just kidding of course!

    Keep up the good work friend!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, you don't know me but I follow your blog! You might recall in a previous comment I left that I am a friend of Amy Shrock's. I wanted to comment on your question about what to write in your blog...you already know what to write! You've obviously piqued the curiosity of a perfect stranger! Looking forward to more of the same...inspirational words, meal ideas, and funny stories. Love the music too, that's a nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rosy Rose,
    I was thinking about making soup for dinner tonight. So this is it...I think I have all the ingredients necessary. I'll let you know hot it turned out!
    ~Thanks for all of your encouraging words and prayer for my husband.
    We're sooooo glad to be back home.
    Melanie@Bella~Mella

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOu mean I can do that? Are you sure? You make it look just like the restaurant. The last attempt at homemade rolls, the boys loved them and then said, "But the ones at church supper night are better." So basically, I haven't made them sense. :)

    I love reading your blog and hearing from you. Very encouraging and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those precious children of yours. Too cute.

    I'm going to have to have to try to make the bread bowl with soup. My girls love bread bowls.

    I, too, just like to peek into peoples lives so you can write about anything and we would eat it up.
    A little of everything will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose, I'm thankful that it isn't possible to gain weight just visiting your blog :). You have the most amazing food pictures on here! I so love soup in the winter. It is the ultimate comfort food. I'm having to get creative since not eating gluten/dairy. I wonder how I could change the soup recipe to fit our diet :)? I'll have to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com