Thursday, December 4, 2008

Spring of Living Water

"My people have committed two sins:

They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cistern that cannot hold water." Jeremiah 2:13

I have been thinking a lot about priorities lately….

Where am I spending most of my energy? What is it that holds my attention? Where do I go when I need encouragement?

I think too many times I am Looking for a "fast fix". Something that will be immediate and will help me make it to the next thing. (Let's not mention my coffee addiction please) Yes, I'm afraid that sometimes even my coffee is a way of satisfying something that is crying out in me.

Why do I forget to go to the one who will give me utmost and lasting satisfaction? Even when my time with him is so sweet one day, I forget the next!

So what does it take for me to learn this?

This morning I was really hungry when I woke up but I was running late and didn't have time to eat anything. By 10:00 I was very hungry but I was still literally running to the next thing and didn't really have time to stop.

By 12:30 I still had not taken the time to feed my belly and it was starting to affect me. My head began to hurt and my stomach was complaining loudly. At 1:00 I finally had a chance to "grab" something on the run. You know what I grabbed? Some M&M's...Bad, bad of me I know!

And you know what? It did not satisfy my desire. It tasted good for only a moment and then 5 minutes later I was back to desiring what my body really needed which was some True nourishment!

Too often, I have traded what Jesus has to offer me for a broken cistern. Too often I have filled my time with "fast fixes". With stuff that makes me happy now but doesn't supply the sustenance I need for a contented, joyful spirit.

This Christmas season I want to dedicate moments each day to spend time with the one I am celebrating. The traditions and lights and smells are, Oh so fun for me. But they won't be the spring of living water that I really thirst for.

Sweet Jesus, it's for you, it really is for you!

3 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading over your blog. Love the playlist you have going! Great choices.
    I'll stop by often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Rose. At times, I find myself giving God a few minutes of my time, and giving a lot more time to things that don't really matter. The computer was one that comes to mind for me. Not that I have to stop being online, but I need to find my fulfillment in Him, and not in other things. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! I totally get it. I eat "m & m's" rather than reaching for what I really need so much of the time.

    The "raising kids" season of life makes it hard not to run run run and run out of time, but it's so important to at least run to HIM while on the run, rather than forgetting.

    Thank you for the beautiful reminder. LOVE the analogy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com