Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Walk down Memory Lane


I have a milestone event happening this week. My parents are, after 21 years, selling their house and having sale on their personal belongings. They built this beautiful house when I was 15. It was home to me...


I am so sad I have to say goodbye to this house that I love. I love it because it holds such a huge chunk of my life.

I have so many MEMORIES.... of bringing home friends, Many, Many, family events, Christmas's, birthday's, Easter Egg hunts,Gardening in mom and dad's amazing garden, fishing in the pond, campfires, fireworks, my old room, the smell of the house, the quiet, Serene feeling on their acreage,my sister's wedding reception, doing corn and applesauce,

This is the house I brought Jason to and each of my children one by one.

I don't always adapt to new things instantly. I have to sit with it for awhile. I remember similar feelings when I moved from the only other home I knew before this house. It seemed to me that as long as my parents still lived here there was a physical link to the past.

This summer we decided that since it would probably be our last summer here we had our annual family campout in mom and dad's back yard. My brother Jim and sis-in-law Shirley were responsible for planning it this year and they did a fabulous job....

Here are my 3 nutty brothers, sister and mom and dad


Since the summer games were coming up they planned the T***** Family Olympics! There were big ho la hoops for the Olympic rings.



Here is Dale, my uncle. He lit the torch to "Let the Games Begin"

We split into 3 teams and each team chose their own country. We were Poland(I think there were some trash talkin, politically incorrect, Pollock jokes tossed our way). Here is my team:



Not to toot my own horn but we did end up with the Gold-Nah, Nah, Nah Nah, Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye! We were awarded the Gold Medals!


Here were some of the events:

A timed obstacle course, beach towel volleyball, Frisbee relay, marshmallow toss, finding little plastic lizards in a big tub of foul smelling, too big to eat, shredded cucumbers. We played in the hot, hot sun for 3 blazing hours. What a memory!

Micah doing the barsDad Shooting at balloons


Tyler running after being spun around on the tire swing till he was so dizzy he could hardly walk in a straight line...Excuse me officer? No, I have not been drinking...And for lunch they made Chinese food because the Olympics were to be held in China! They thought of everything!




Here are my two adorable boys.



So you can tell we just have a great time back there at grandpa's house.



Why do all things have to change? I don't know except I guess I have come to the conclusion that it is inevitable. Just as summer gives way to fall so do "the days of our lives".



I have this lump in my throat and feel kind of stupid about it. I guess I just get all nostalgic about my childhood. I think it also makes me feel sad because I realize my parents are getting older and sometimes that frightens me.


Remember to make each day count for days turn into weeks and weeks to years. Today will determine what tomorrows memories will be.



What makes you feel nostalgic?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rose!! Thanks for the blog comments! I didn't know that you had a blog! Sorry you have to say goodbye to a place that you have loved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey babe good memories. My heart skips a beat whenever I think of that first boat ride on the pond. I believe your dad took a picture. Ohhh the memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've seen Dan in Real Life, but that just reminded me of that movie. Only because the big extended family gets together and does really cool things and during the movie I was all, "are there really families that do this?" I guess there are! You're blessed!

    I feel this same way about my parent's house when I imagine that one day they'll move, or, not to be morbid, but they'll pass away. I can't even imagine life without our visits to the country, the place where I grew up.

    Peace to you as you adjust and let go! It's hard...

    So nice to meet you,
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I feel the same way about the home I grew up in...and my parents moved out of that nearly 10 years ago. I found that when Matt and I were building our current home my mind kept going back to the house I grew up in and picking out the things that were important to me in that house.

    LOOOOOOOVE the Olympic idea....I may have to steal that one!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear if you stop by...
Please let me hear from you!
You may email me at: Rosyrose72@gmail.com